Wednesday, August 10, 2011

From one of the legends of the sport...

From Beyond the Ultimate


 http://www.beyondtheultimate.com/athletes/Terry-Brands.aspx

As a sophomore in high school my [church] youth group spent a week in Colorado skiing. It was during that time that I understood what Christ could REALLY do and had already done for me. I accepted [Jesus Christ into my life as Savior] and realized that real power is through Christ.
I grew up in a broken family caused by alcohol abuse. We had little money, little material. But I did not allow that to destroy my structure of integrity formed from will, determination and guts. Christ has taught me that He is the real power and authority over all things great and otherwise.
I have heard it said that it is lonely at the top. Not true; it is lonely getting there. In society many times emphasis is placed on sex, alcohol, drugs and attending the big party. Kids are told to question authority. Values of winning and working hard are eroded in favor of mediocrity. Integrity and high moral standards are traded for worldly pleasure and quick fixes.
I gave up worldly views and “feasted on” things moral. While the temptations were there I was trained to defeat them…I am not a victim of the environment I grew up in; I am the champion of the environment God tested me in—through [the strength and power given to me by] Christ.
To win every moment we must be equipped with strong minds possessing integrity and high moral standards needed to conquer and destroy the temptations brought on by “feel good” reflexes. Christ supplies all we need to wage that war and fight those battles.



No comments:

Post a Comment